..

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Catching Up

I wanted to get a head start on the Calendar Girls swaps. This gives me time to think about what to do next and catch up on some other swaps.

For January, I focused in on the sunflower. I first did a sketch of the flower I wanted to do. Then, I used hand dyed fabrics and also added to the color with pastel crayons. The center of the sunflower is dense machine stitching. I'll need to scale it down a bit. It is now bigger then 4 x 6.











































































For February, I thought it would be interesting to focus in on the design element of the vase pictured to the left. Here is a close up shot..


























So, I copied the "square like" design element within the red vase and used this as the backdrop using a blue/purple spectrum of color. I then added the red flower pictured in the calendar to the center. This red flower was machine stitched.

I also had to spend some time dyeing new fabrics to get some additional colors.























But, I really do just like this color combination on it's own as well...



3 Comments:

Blogger sharon young said...

Hi Joanna
I love your Jan PC the colour combo is awesome!! and the addition of the single word is just perfect. What a stunning piece!!
Your Feb one is wonderful too, you really are on the ball!!
The colour scheme is sooo... vibrant and the idea of working with the squares worked really well.
looking at the close up I can see your hand stitching is 'beautifully executed' as an old and valued tutor used to say LOL. And all hand dyed too!!
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!
BTW can I be really nosey and ask you how you finished the edge because it looks so wonderfully neat!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Doreen G said...

Fantastic Joanna--I haven't finished January yet.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Susan D said...

Brilliant Joanna, I've done a couple of sketches and will get started on January's soon.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home