I wanted to get a head start on the Calendar Girls swaps. This gives me time to think about what to do next and catch up on some other swaps.
For January, I focused in on the sunflower. I first did a sketch of the flower I wanted to do. Then, I used hand dyed fabrics and also added to the color with pastel crayons. The center of the sunflower is dense machine stitching. I'll need to scale it down a bit. It is now bigger then 4 x 6.
For February, I thought it would be interesting to focus in on the design element of the vase pictured to the left. Here is a close up shot..
So, I copied the "square like" design element within the red vase and used this as the backdrop using a blue/purple spectrum of color. I then added the red flower pictured in the calendar to the center. This red flower was machine stitched.
I also had to spend some time dyeing new fabrics to get some additional colors.
But, I really do just like this color combination on it's own as well...