..

Monday, October 01, 2007

Garment District

I took a trip through the fashion district today. I haven't been in the city in a couple of years so I thought it would be a nice opportunity to get out.

First stop was Mood fabrics... I had to stop by as I LOVE Project Runway and this is the place they go to. All I have to say is...I don't know how they get their fabrics in one hour. It was so overwhelming.
The garment district has so many little shops selling notions, trims, and fabrics. I saw so many different fabrics that I felt really overwhelmed. So, many different types of knits, silks, brocades etc!
Tomorrow I will take pictures of my finds but here are a few pictures of the places I visited. The information booth in the garment district had a big button and needle which I thought was really cute. My favorite place was B & J fabrics. It's amazing how much a yard of fabric can run...some fabrics could be $200 a yard...can you imagine? I did splurge and bought one that was $30 a yard but even then I thought that was quite expensive. If you do go, bring your scissors! I didn't realize it but some of the shops let you take swatches. So, you can get a small swatch of some of that $200 fabric for free!






















































































2 Comments:

Blogger Terri Stegmiller said...

That sounds like a fun day. I've never had the opportunity to do anything like that and wonder if I ever will. I have heard of this place though.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Judy Rys said...

Sometimes I go to the Garment District in Los Angeles. Talk about fabric overload, it is mind boggling. I was afraid to touch the stuff that cost $200 a yard because if it got ruined I would have to purchase it!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home