..

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Art That Makes An Impact

What's the first piece of art that comes to your mind right now? Do you have special pieces of art in your mind that just never go away...they might not be the Da Vinci's or van Gogh's but they just stay with you. I was thinking about this. I'm sure there are many you know but there are few that stay with you. There are a few that kind of just stay with me. This is one. David Hockney's "A Bigger Splash". I think this is such an interesting painting because you have all the symmetry of the building and pool ...and then there is the "splash". There are so many deep meanings you can attach to this painting. I've always liked the "order and disorder" of this piece.

I'd also be interested to hear about any fiber creations that "just stay with you".





2 Comments:

Blogger Kate North said...

Ooh, I love Hockney. Saw his self-portrait in the National Portrait Gallery recently - not quite as good as the swimming pool, but still, what a great composition.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kate North said...

oh, and I meant to say, one of the paintings that sticks with me is the Vermeer painting Woman Holding a Balance. I love the way she's standing and the light coming in at the window. The angle of her face and the delicate way her fingers curl... Such a great painting.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home