..

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Arthur Rackham



























My next project is an art quilt based upon an Arthur Rackham illustration. This is going to take me a long time. But, it is something I really want to do. So, I hope you will all enjoy my walk through the process. This draft is to test out how I like certain colors and how to go about doing them. I won't be using this particular one because I don't like how the hand turned out on the blue fairy. But, this was a great start and I'm loving how the water color look is going. I don't mind that it runs off in certain areas because the fairies will eventually be cut out onto another piece. I also learned that when doing this I should start out with the lighter colors first then move the darker colors. I love the look of the black fairies hair but I don't like how it kind of has a little bit of a muddy look in small patches. So, on my next draft this should be remedied. I sure hope I'm not going to have ten drafts. I had another version with inks but this looked really bad, so this is the second draft. This image is copyright free so I'm trying to be true to it. I love Arthur Rackham illustrations they are so detailed. This is also just the smaller part of it. The biggest fairy is seperate. So, stay tuned for more as I slowly progress. After I'm done painting all the images, then I need to thread paint them all. Hopefully, I'll be done by next year .

4 Comments:

Blogger Doreen G said...

Soooo beautiful Joanna and I look forward to the finished product however long it takes you.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Alis Clair said...

Oh how beautiful. I will enjoy watching your quilt evolve. Thank you for sharing with us.

Hugs, Alis

7:27 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Joanne they are so beautiful, I love them.

2:29 AM  
Blogger bookwraps by suz.com said...

Joanna! how beautiful!!!! I will be looking forward to the finished project ... I love faries!

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home