..

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Romance Comics





As some of you may know, I'm a big fan of romance comic imagery. My preference is the 50's and in particular the artwork of Matt Baker. I wrote an article for the RaggedCafe that I would like you all to check out. Let me know what you think?


This is my current work in process. I'm really happy with the outcome and as I have decided to do a series of studies of comic women images (when I can fit it in!). The background is hand dyed fabric and the image of the girl is done with inks and pastels on fabric. Then, where ever you see black, this is thread painted with black thread. I might do a little tweaking to the background. I need to think it over. I thought about stitching in the background but since this is a smaller piece..I'm not sure. It will also be scaled down a bit upon completion. She has a friendliness about her...like she's inviting you into her world...don't you think?


Matt Baker's women have an immortal beauty. And, he knew how to set a scene with so many details! He was just gifted in his ability to capture movement. He had a bad heart and died at the age of 37. He made such a contribution in such a short period of time. I was lucky enough to stumble onto some of his images that are considered public domain. I know this will take some time to do a series and I am not sure in which direction I will go but I really like how this one in particular turned out. The defined lines are just perfect for thread painting. And, the comic images make a great source of inspiration to work in fiber.

I would like to know what you all think of the article? Also, I would love to hear if any of you already knew of Matt Baker or were a reader of some his comics...or even own some romance comics in general?

And, here are some links to some illustrators/comic artists that are interesting to visit:



Process Recess

Guyshield


Sara's Sketches

Misch

A general blog on 50's 40's imagery, really interesting to look back on some of these ads

Today's Inspiration's

6 Comments:

Blogger Purple Missus said...

Stunning Joanna.
Very well written and interesting article too.
Well done on both.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I was interested in your article, I had never heard of Matt Baker, it was interesting how his drawings as you say, suggested more than actually happened. I am truly impressed by what you have done so far, it should be a fascinating series.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I was very interested in your article, I have never heard of Matt Baker I like the suggestion that his pictures suggested more than actually happened!! This should be a great series.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Debbi Baker said...

Fabulous Joanna - look forward to seeing more of the series!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

really enjoyed the article, very well written and I could feel your enthusiasm through your words. Your artwork is fantastic and I look forward to seeing this series develop!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Fannie said...

Thanks for introducing Matt Baker, the artist, and his works to me. I enjoyed your article. Isn't it sad that he died at a young age? One wonders what else he would have contributed to the art world.

Extraordinary artwork. Bravo! I look forward to seeing more!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home