..

Friday, March 21, 2008

Advice

I am planning out doing a really large art quilt. I would appreciate any tips or ideas any of you might have to prevent puckering while stitching. I've heard of fusing the backing and the front and of course the traditional pin and baste technique. I haven't done a large quilt in years and was never really good at keeping it without puckers. Anyone done the fusing technique with success?

Please help! Vicki if you are reading this, I know you are a pro at this kind of stuff maybe you might have some suggestions?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate North said...

How big is really large? I just did a quilt which was 48x72, and managed without any puckers - I pinned it a LOT. It was a bit of a pain removing the pins as I got to them, but my golly, it didn't pucker.

1:25 PM  
Blogger TracyB said...

I'm not sure if they make them anymore, but I have a pin ticket gun (you know those plastic little t-bars that hold the tags with the bar codes on the clothing at the store). It's nice, all you have to do is stick the pin of the gun into the quilt and shoot. It can be a little tedius, cutting them all back out but it's a lot easier than basting the quilting and having to pull all of the thread back out when done.

7:25 AM  
Blogger GiGi said...

I was taught by a master quilter to always stabilize my material before starting any art quilt. Therefore, this is what I do. In addition, I place a 1/4 inch stitch all the way around the edging to give the stabilizer stabilization. Works to a tee. Thank you. GiGi

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home