..

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Dyeing Wool and Yarn

I tried two different methods of dyeing roving. One with food coloring and the other with Koolaid. I am thinking with the Koolaid I should have added even more. I added two packets of cherry and two packets of grape and you can see that it probably needed more. The advantages to Koolaid is that you get a nice smell as the wool smells like you are on a sheep farm. But, I like the intensity of the food coloring more. I chose to use kitchen friendly dyes so that I could use my pots. But, I was reading that old dyes also work nicely on wool.

I love the boldness of the way the yarns dyed but I think next time I'll add more coloring for the roving. But, I'm also thinking that just buying the dyed versions is just as good!

4 Comments:

Blogger Terri Stegmiller said...

The colors look great! Where did you get your wool?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Doreen G said...

The rovings look good.I have heard about koolaid but we don't have it in Australia.How colour fast are both the food colourings and Koolaid

8:10 PM  
Blogger Purple Missus said...

I agree, using the dyed versions is just as good but you can't beat that moment of satisfaction when a piece you have dyed yourself turns out beautifully - like those first two pieces in your last post.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kool-aid - who knew! I think the color looks great just as it is. Absolutely, using pre-dyed is easier but you can't beat the surprise of dyeing your own!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home