..

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Exploring Artists


I signed up for a swap on SurfaceDesign where we recreate the masters of art in PC form. This is so exciting for me because I just love studying art history. I was inspired to create the trade by looking at Cynthia's blog...amazing!

Now, I don't know which ones to do! There are some that I can see would be really difficult so I am not sure it would turn out.

Here are a few of my ideas, I would love to explore.

Artemisia Gentileschi.

I had the honor of seeing this piece at the DIA in Detroit. She was a really interesting lady. She was one of the first fresco painters in Italy when women were not really allowed to paint. Her style is amazing she also was one of the forerunners in doing light to dark contrasts to add depth. Also, she had an interesting story in her life, she was raped by a fellow fresco painter and it was the first recorded rape trial in Italy. She was so tormented by this that she has several paintings in which she portrays heroines as getting revenge against a man. It is said that this is a self portrait of her as "Judith". Judith cuts off the head of Holofernes.




Also, I would love to explore the Expressionists...here are a couple of my favorites





Kirchner...





























Macke...





















Marc...


I had the pleasure to see Fighting Forms in Munich once. I just love the fractional elements and color in his compositions.







So, now where to begin??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all of these Joanna and I can see that some of them may be easier to recreate in fabric than others. The colors in those last four though are so inspiring.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Look forward to seeing your interpretation, love the work by Marc

3:54 AM  
Blogger Digitalgran said...

that was a very interesting post. You have introduced me to so many new artists.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home