..

Monday, February 19, 2007

More Wool Dyeing


I broke down and bought a special pot because I really wanted to see how procion dyes take the wool. Terri was kind enough to send me some of her old dyes that were a few years old and these are perfect for this since they become less potent for cotton dyeing purposes. But, the wool does require a lot of dye to get vibrant colors. The orange was from Kool Aid. You can see that the yarn takes the dye a lot more stronger than the roving. I dyed fuchia and turquoise. And, I think I could have used even more turquoise to get a more vibrant color. Terri, some of this wool will be on it's way to you since you so kindly contributed to my learning process!

Also, I tried dying silk batting. The silk batting is what is in the front (blue). I had gotten some samples a year ago and thought some day I would find a use for it. I'm wondering what silk batting would look like as silk paper...maybe that's the next step?

8 Comments:

Blogger Terri Stegmiller said...

Oh my goodness Joanna! You are so sweet. I'm anxious to see it in person. Thank you so much! I love all the colors you got here.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! These colors are great. I had no idea you could get such brilliant color from Kool-aid! I'd be interested in hearing about your future projects dyeing silk batting.....I'm allergic to wool so anything I do has to be with silk or cotton.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Wow, you've been busy! I was thinking about trying dying, but I already have a lot on my plate!

I was looking for your email address, but don't see it in your profile. I have a question for you...about the famous painting pc swap. cmgfineart@yahoo.com

2:12 PM  
Blogger Purple Missus said...

I think you can safely say you are now addicted to dyeing Joanna. These colours are great. I must try that Kool-aid method.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh Joanna, you've got some great colors there! It all looks so yummy.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Doreen G said...

You are having a dyeing good time aren't you Joanna and these colours are so vibrant.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Digitalgran said...

A very successful experiment Joanna, they are lovely colours.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow, you have been busy, the colours have come out great, looks like a new addiction

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home