..

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Color in quilts

I was thinking today..how I would love to just be able to cut out a bunch of shapes and achieve a perfect color combination. To some it just comes to natural but to others like me it takes thought process and still I am not satisfied. I was looking at Melody Johnson's blog today and I really admire how she is able to achieve such beautiful rich colors. This to me is one of the most important factors in an art quilt. When I first started quilting, I of course was given the basic 4 patch to complete where you could only use cotton thread! Then, I saw there really was more to quilting than making a bed quilt. It's wonderful how with art quilts we can be so inspired to be creative. Now, I really would like to get more of a grasp on appealing color combinations. At University, I studied accounting because I knew I could always get a job but I remember how I would just love studying art history. I find that it is an inspirational journey how I can look back and use some of this basis to admire other's work and hopefully tune it into my own.
I bought three books from Amazon.com recently. Of course the bad part of this is that I didn't look inside first! Stay away from the book "Beautifully Embellished Landscapes, this will most likely be a donation to my quilt guild. The one I really find inspiring above the other two is Lanscape in Contemporary Quilts. If you want to be inspired by great color combinations...look no further. Here is a picture...


Also, I finished up the final leaf series. The last card is made with silk fusion, some wool yarn and hand dyed fabrics. I am working on cutting out little fairies for the paper and fiber trade. I forgot how time consuming it is to cut these little buggers out!



2 Comments:

Blogger Françoise said...

Joanna, your leaf cards are beautiful!
And you know, I bought "Landscape in Contemporary Quilts" too...

10:58 AM  
Blogger Helen in the UK said...

Love the blue leaf card. I'm quite taken by the reviews I've seen of Lanscape in Contemporary Quilts - intersting to get your input :)

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home