..

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Color in quilts

I was thinking today..how I would love to just be able to cut out a bunch of shapes and achieve a perfect color combination. To some it just comes to natural but to others like me it takes thought process and still I am not satisfied. I was looking at Melody Johnson's blog today and I really admire how she is able to achieve such beautiful rich colors. This to me is one of the most important factors in an art quilt. When I first started quilting, I of course was given the basic 4 patch to complete where you could only use cotton thread! Then, I saw there really was more to quilting than making a bed quilt. It's wonderful how with art quilts we can be so inspired to be creative. Now, I really would like to get more of a grasp on appealing color combinations. At University, I studied accounting because I knew I could always get a job but I remember how I would just love studying art history. I find that it is an inspirational journey how I can look back and use some of this basis to admire other's work and hopefully tune it into my own.
I bought three books from Amazon.com recently. Of course the bad part of this is that I didn't look inside first! Stay away from the book "Beautifully Embellished Landscapes, this will most likely be a donation to my quilt guild. The one I really find inspiring above the other two is Lanscape in Contemporary Quilts. If you want to be inspired by great color combinations...look no further. Here is a picture...


Also, I finished up the final leaf series. The last card is made with silk fusion, some wool yarn and hand dyed fabrics. I am working on cutting out little fairies for the paper and fiber trade. I forgot how time consuming it is to cut these little buggers out!



3 Comments:

Blogger Fran├žoise said...

Joanna, your leaf cards are beautiful!
And you know, I bought "Landscape in Contemporary Quilts" too...

10:58 AM  
Blogger sue b said...

You know I almost bought the "Beautifully Embellished Landscapes", now I'm glad I didn't. I have the Lanscape in Contemporary Quilts on my list of books to buy. I'm intrigued by the cover photo. What was the third book you bought? Have you seen the Surface Designers Handbook? I got it the other day and at first glance it looks like a keeper.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Helen in the UK said...

Love the blue leaf card. I'm quite taken by the reviews I've seen of Lanscape in Contemporary Quilts - intersting to get your input :)

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home